Things don’t just change. It takes action. Pastor Anthony Smith provides some specific actions you can take today to help your community.
What do we do? How do we help? When asked this question after more shooting events in our community, this is a list to start with:
- Write, email, and call your current NC Senate and House representatives to release funding to fully fund public education and expand Medicaid (a lot of these perpetrators of violence are people with little to no access to healthcare nor mental healthcare). NC Senator Carl Ford, https://www.ncleg.gov/Members/ContactInfo/S and NC House Representatives Harry Warren, District 76, Julia Howard, District 77, Wayne Sasser, District 67 https://www.ncleg.gov/Members/ContactInfo/H
- Support local efforts to address violence in a more holistic manner.
- Inform each other with popular education opportunities in the root causes of these things beyond culture war posturing, personal opinions, anecdotal soundbites.
- Strongly advocate for researched based analysis and actions.
- Push for doable and actionable outcomes both in the short and long term.
- Advocate for a full employment strategy at the federal, state, county and city levels.
Pastor Anthony Smith